There’s something about spending an afternoon eating a great meal with our friends that just can’t be replaced! The Cypress Bay B.R.I.D.G.E.S. Program got to enjoy their lunch with friends at the Weston Diner yesterday. The class took their Community Based Instruction (CBI) trip to a restaurant this time in order to practice their money management skills. This was a great experience giving each student the responsibility to order their own lunch, receive their individual bill, and calculate the tax along with tips for their order. The teachers, Ms. Donna Mansolillo and Ms. Kathy Gormin-Gard, emphasized at this outing how important it is to budget their money so that the students have enough funds in their accounts to cover what they ordered. By giving these students a firsthand experience to manage their money, they gain a whole new perspective of what it can be like living independently, especially dining. This outing not only allowed them to practice their budgeting skills, but also gave them the opportunity to use their problem-solving skills when having to split their check with alternative payment methods. The HDS Contenders helped the students find a solution and taught them how to calculate the payment using both their ATM card and cash. It is amazing to see the growth in these students each time we meet! The HDS Foundation loves following the journey of these bright and passionate students as they become independent young adults.
Recent Blog Posts
- HDS Companies Gives Thanks
- Community Based Instruction – Lowe’s Garden Challenge
- I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream!
- Teamwork Makes the Dreamwork
- B.R.I.D.G.E.S. Supports Mission BBQ While Budgeting
- HDS Companies Annual Spook-tacular Halloween
- B.R.I.D.G.E.S. Enjoys Budgeting Lunch at Weston Diner
- B.R.I.D.G.E.S. Class Visits the Bank of America
- B.R.I.D.G.E.S. Students on Their Journey to Building Budgeting Skills
- The HDS Foundation kicks off the 2019-2020 BRIDGES Program at Cypress Bay High School